Monday 21 July 2014

Gilloolys Hill Repeat Party



On Saturday afternoon, Ian, Francis and I joined Adventure Lisa and a couple of her running buddies to run off-road hills at Gillooly's Farm.

Lisa's invitation to the hill repeat party
I had already run Bryanston parkrun, finishing 3rd lady in my age category and then I had run just over 3kms with Zoe on her Couch-to-5km program so I was not feeling very strong. When I saw the hill we were going to repeat I knew I wasn't very strong! Lisa led the pack, with each of us following when the one in front of us was a quarter way up the visible hill. I was the back of the pack runner.  The first 10 metres are runnable, thereafter it is walking and obviously the harder you push your walk, the better the training. The hill measure 400 metres on my Garmin and my first repeat took 7:22 minutes. The second was 7:02 and we didn't go back for a third. It was a nice introduction to a new option for our hill training and one we will try do regularly, especially if we are doing The Three Cranes Challenge in 2015.
Beautiful view of Joburg, me, Jason & Rex, Julie, Ian and Francis
After the second repeat we walked along the top of the hill. On the right hand side you can see to Northcliff and Sandton and on the left is a great view of Joburg. Then it is a long walk back down past the resevoir and back to our cars.
It was a good session, a great venue and important training. We will be doing this regularly especially leading up to The Three Cranes Challenge in 2015.
Thanks Lisa.


Lisa's selfie of the party after the second repeat

No comments: